This colorful summer salad is the perfect side dish for a grill out, to serve in taco shells or with fresh bread and pan-fried cheese. It’s fresh, juicy and crisp and once you try it you are hooked.
Loaded with protein, fiber and vitamins this salad is super healthy and a pescatarian’s dream.
Ingredients for 4 servings
1 green or red bell pepper
1 yellow chili pepper
1 can (250g) kidney beans
juice of 2 limes
3-4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper to taste
1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
2 cans of tuna in its own juice
How to prepare the salad
- Start by draining your tuna and drain and rinse your kidney beans.
- Mince your onion and garlic. I like to use a garlic press to mince the garlic but you can also cut it into very small pieces with a knife.
- Make a vinaigrette with lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. I start with 1/2 tsp of salt but might add a little more before serving the salad.
- Add the minced onion and garlic to the vinaigrette and set aside.
- With a knife, score a small “x” into the bottom of each tomato. Give the tomatoes to a large bowl and cover with boiling water, set aside. This will help to peel your tomatoes.
- Slice the bell pepper into thin strips and mince the hot chili pepper.
- You should now be able to easily peel the skin off the tomatoes. Remove the seeds and cut the tomatoes into small pieces. This part always gets a little messy.
- After all the cutting, slicing and peeling you can now give the tuna, kidney beans, tomatoes, chili peppers and sliced bell peppers into a large bowl.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour before serving. Season to taste.
How to store the salad
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Sunshine on my mind
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram Here
I also have this recipe on my YouTube channel Here