Iced Cherry Soup is such a wonderful summer dish. It reminds me of my childhood, when my mom would prepare iced cherry soup on hot summer days and serve it with grits or vanilla pudding and sometimes even with vanilla ice cream. It was always a highlight and so delightful.
You can cook the soup with fresh or canned sour cherries. If you use fresh cherries, I would recommend to cook them with the stones still in for a better flavor. But be careful not to bite a cherry seed while eating.
700g canned sour cherries with juice
300 ml water
cinnamon stick (2-3 cm long)
2-3 Tbsp vanilla pudding powder
2-3 Tbsp honey
lemon balm leaves to decorate
banana slices, vanilla pudding, ice cream, grits
How to cook the Iced Cherry Soup
- Give the cherries with juice, water, cinnamon stick, cloves and a little bit of lemon peel to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes to infuse the herbs and lemon.
- Mix the pudding powder with a little bit of cold water and stir into the soup.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Sweeten with honey and set aside to cool.
We love to eat the soup ice cold from the fridge but it is also delicious at room temperature. Serve it with vanilla pudding, grits or ice cream and decorate with banana slices and some lemon balm leaves.
Storing the soup
Store the cherry soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one day.
You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces – just good food from fresh ingredients.Julia Child
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment below or tag me on instagram Here
I also have this recipe on my YouTube channel Here