Are you ready for fall? For all the fall fragrances and colors and delicious fall food? Are you ready for a scrumptious apple cake?
Since I picked our apples a week ago I craved to bake a juicy apple cake. I wanted to make the sweet and slightly tart flavor of the apples combined with the warmth of cinnamon and vanilla pop. At the same time the cake had to be fluffy and juicy but not soggy.
I used the Holsteiner Cox apples (an old apple variety) from our tree for this cake. My husband and our oldest daughter are very allergic to apples and with choosing old varieties of apples (low-allergen apples) they will more likely be able to eat them. Also cooking the apples helps a lot since it may alter the protein that causes the reaction.
Can you imagine how delightful our house smelled when I baked the cake? It was mouth-watering!
What type of baking pan to use for this cake
There is nothing more irritating than baking a beautiful cake without being able to remove it from the pan in one piece. We have probably all made at least once the mistake of using the wrong baking pan. For this cake I prefer a springform cake pan! If you line the bottom of the pan with baking paper and let the cake completely cool in the pan you can easily remove the ring and transfer the cake to a platter.
Let me share this delicious recipe with you
Ingredients to cook the apples:
- 2-3 apples
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. Raisins
- 3/4 cup water
for the dough:
- 60 g butter (soft)
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla sugar
- 130 g spelt flour
- 100 g creme fraiche/sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
powdered sugar to dust the cake
How to bake the cake
- Peel your apples and slices them in thick slices.
2. Cook your apples in a pan/pot on low heat with water, vanilla sugar, cinnamon and raisins for 5 minutes or until soft but not mushy.
3. Drain the apples in a sieve.
4. Preheat your oven to 175 C/350 F.
5. Line the bottom of your baking pan with baking paper.
6. Mix your butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and eggs until creamy. Stir in the creme fraiche/sour cream. Slowly add the flour and baking powder.
7. Give the dough to your baking pan and even the top. Arrange the sliced apples and raisins on top of the cake.
8. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the cake from the oven and let completely cool before removing it from the pan.
Toppings that will make your cake even more delicious
Now that your scrumptious apple cake is just waiting to be eaten you can sprinkle it with icing sugar or serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
“Apple cake counts as a serving of fruit.“unknown
If you try this recipe and love it, please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @Luckyloreleyy.